Regular Exercise and a balanced diet are necessary to maintain a fit and healthy life. Staying fit also has the benefit of looking attractive. And if there is one body part that can add an instant illusion of domination, intimidation and masculinity in a man’s physique, it is his shoulders.Here is a list of top 6 shoulders workout you could practice to grow broad shoulders:
Men have wider shoulders than women on an average because of the high testosterone levels in men, which causes their shoulders to grow broader. Having broad shoulders makes you look bigger than you actually are. They also make your body look proportional. Read our article about 7 WAYS TO BOOST YOUR TESTOSTERONE LEVELS.
On an off note, having broad shoulders also makes you insanely attractive to women. The inverted triangle shaped body is longed for because it is a symbol of physical strength. This does not necessarily mean that men with narrow shoulders are not capable of being strong.
Having broad shoulders is just a physical indication of upper body strength. It makes your everyday life much more easier. Activities like carrying groceries, lifting up boxes, etc., will be a piece of cake to you.
By practicing exercises that add muscle mass to your chest, shoulders and back, you can increase the girth of your shoulders.
1. STANDING BARBELL MILITARY PRESS
The standing barbell military press or standing overhead press is one of the best shoulders workout for developing muscles in your body. It covers your shoulders, chest, triceps, biceps and glutes. It also increases the stability of your core. There are different variations of this exercise available, depending on your entry level.
For men with lower back problems, the seated variation of it is recommended.
It is suggested that you practice this exercise once or twice a week. Doing it too often may turn out to be harmful.
Equipment required: Barbell
HOW TO DO IT :
- Place the barbell on a rack that is about chest high and choose your weights.
- Face your palms forward and hold the bar with a tight grip. The space between your hands should be wider than your shoulder.
- Bend your knees slightly, breathe in and lift the barbell to your shoulder level. Breathing out, lift the barbell upwards till your arms are extended overhead.
- Breathing in, Lower the barbell down to your shoulder level.
- Breathe out and lift the bar overhead.
- Continue doing steps 4 and 5, as required
2. ARNOLD PRESS
The Arnold Press, named after the bodybuilding icon – Arnold Schwarzenegger, is a variation of the dumbbell military press. It is a very effective exercise that spurts muscle growth. It covers all the three deltoids of the shoulder that is the anterior, posterior and lateral.
For men with lower back problems, the seated variation of this exercise is recommended. Also, if you are suffering from any shoulder problems, it is suggested you stay away from this exercise, as it could cause more harm than relief.
The Arnold Press can be done twice or thrice a week, with 2 or 3 sets of 10 to 12 reps. This can be done for shoulder warm ups or at the end of a workout.
Equipment required : Dumbbell
HOW TO DO IT :
- Stand / Sit up straight and hold a pair of dumbbells at chest level, with your palms facing your body and elbows bent. The top portion of the dumbbell curl exercise is how your position should look. This is your starting position.
- Breathe in, and stretch your hands upwards completely, lifting the dumbbells, and while you are doing that, rotate your arms halfway, so the dumbbells are touching each other on the other end, and your palm is facing outwards.
- Breathing out, Rotate your arms again, and retrace your steps to the starting position.
- Repeat steps as recommended.
3. PLATE RAISES
The Plate raise exercise is useful in increasing the stability of your core. This is an auxiliary shoulder exercise which covers the anterior deltoid. It is also effective in building the upper chest.
This could either be a warm up exercise or heavy workout depending on the weight of your equipment.
Variations of this exercise include use of different equipments such as dumbbell or barbells.
Equipment Required: Weight Plate
HOW TO DO IT :
- Choose your weight plate depending on your workout.
- Breathe in and carry the plate to your waist level, holding the sides with a secure grip.
- Your arms should be extended before you and locked with a slight bend at the elbows.
- Breathing out, raise the plate to your shoulder level. When in this position, make sure your arms are straight and body firm.
- Breathing in, lower the plate as slow as possible, to starting position.
- Repeat steps as required.
4. SIDE LATERAL RAISE
The Side Lateral exercise is great for the lateral deltoids, which is the most important delt that helps increase shoulder girth.
However, if not done right, this exercise can be harmful. Make sure to lift weights with moderate momentum, while maintaining a loose, relaxed body posture.
It is suggested that you do 4-5 sets depending of 12- 15 reps. You may start with 10 and then work up to 15 reps.
A Variation of this exercise includes using a Resistance band instead of the dumbbells.
Equipments Required: Dumbbells
How to do it:
- Grab a pair of dumbbells of a chosen weight and stand straight, body relaxed.
- Place your hands by your sides.
- Raise your hands sideways till your shoulder level, so that they are parallel to the ground.
- Lower your arms and repeat as required.
5. FACE PULLS
The Face Pulls is an isolation exercise which covers the posterior and medial deltoid. It also helps stabilize your shoulder joints.
It helps you avoid injuries and balance muscle problems. Hence, It is recommended you do this exercise after every routine.
You could do 3-5 sets of exercise with 10-12 reps.
Equipments Required: Cable weight machine and rope
How to do it:
- Choose the rope attachment on the pulley of a cable weight machine.
- Start by holding the rope at your chest level or a little lower. Stand a step or two away from the machine to create tension in the rope.
- Place your feet shoulder width apart, and bend your knees slightly. This is the starting position.
- Breathe in, and pull the rope towards your face. Make sure your elbows are above your wrists.
- Hold this position and squeeze your shoulder blades to create shoulder traction.
- Slowly retrace steps to starting position, and continue as required.
Shoulder shrugs is a weight training exercise which covers the upper trapezius muscles, also known as traps. Having a well-developed upper back, provides support for your neck and helps prevent neck injuries.
Variations of this exercise include use of different equipments like resistance bands, barbells or cables. You could also alternate between your arms, working on one side at a side.
Equipments Required: Dumbbell
How to do it:
- Choose a pair of dumbbells. Place them parallel to each other, step between them and hold the bars with a firm grip
- Breathing in, lift them with you, as you stand up straight.
- Keep your feet together, and arch your back, keeping your shoulders pinched throughout the exercise.
- Breathe out, and elevate your shoulders as high as possible
- Breathe in, and lower your shoulders.
- Repeat as required.
Here are some of the hand picked articles to read next
If you find this article informative, do share it with your friends!